Surfacing is a key component in playgrounds. The ideal surfacing will be as safe as possible while also providing the best environment for play and physical freedom. If your goal is to create a very well designed playground with an engaging aesthetic that can safely host children who are exploring their world then rubber playground surfacing is the ideal choice.
What is a rubber playground surface?
Most types of rubber playground surface have been created from shredded or granulated rubber that has been bound together using polyurethane. It’s a very versatile option for playground surfacing and also has lots of advantages when it comes to being durable, shock absorbent and resistant to all kinds of impacts and conditions. There are two main types of rubber playground surface:
- Wet pour surfacing. This is composed of small pieces of rubber that are bound in polyurethane and is laid on a pre-existing bed of tarmac or stone. This type of surfacing cannot go on top of something soft like grass. It’s incredibly resistant to wear and tear and impact and can be created in a whole range of impactful, colourful and creative designs. It’s also very shock absorbent and safe.
- Rubber mulch surfacing. Shredded tyres bound in polyurethane tend to make up rubber mulch surfacing, which is very low maintenance and durable and is ideal for any type of playground environment. It’s also very simple to install, as it can be laid on top of any type of terrain, whether that’s concrete or grass.
What are the benefits of rubber playground surfacing?
- Flexibility. You can create safe, effective and aesthetically pleasing playground surfacing anywhere you choose with a rubber playground surface. Whether you opt for rubber mulch over a grass terrain or wet pour over concrete, there are options for every location, need and design. This type of surface can be laid under playground equipment, such as swings and slides, too.
- Long-term investment. Rubber playground surfacing makes a lot of sense for the long term. That’s because it’s incredibly durable and built to last. It also requires very little maintenance, which means that your investment will last for many years without much additional expense. This is in contrast to many other types of surfacing, such as gravel or grass, that don’t tend to last, which can be displaced and which may require constant upkeep.
- Safety and peace of mind. Safety is a top priority for a playground surface – and rubber surfacing options are the ideal choice. These not only meet required industry standards but are also very shock absorbent and soft.
- Aesthetics. Playgrounds are used more when they look good and engage children and that’s another benefit of rubber playground surfacing. This type of surfacing can be used to create just about any design, including in vibrant colours and across many different gradients too.
From the safety aspects to the lack of maintenance and the creative expression available, these are just some of the reasons why you should choose a rubber playground surface.