Installing playground equipment in schools gives children more opportunities to be active – and in a much wider range of different ways. Opportunities to develop skills, interact with others and build confidence are just some of the many benefits of installing playground equipment in schools. No matter what your type of school, the needs of your students or the space you have available, installing playground equipment can make a big difference in a number of important ways.
- Encouraging children to play outside. Inspiring playground equipment encourages children to venture outside during breaks and away from screens and devices. There are so many different options available, including equipment for children who love climbing challenges, sand, water or various different sports.
- Improving social skills. Without a focal point for play, children may not interact with each other that much and many simply won’t know what to do with themselves during their school breaks. Playground equipment where more than one user is required helps to improve socialisation and gives children the chance to work on skills such as collaboration and sharing.
- Helping children to discover and refine their talents. A space with plenty of inspiring playground equipment gives students the opportunity to explore what they are capable of. That could be making up stories for the group to act out around equipment, refining a particular skill or understanding how to get stronger and better at certain movements. Playground equipment in schools can be a starting point for children to learn where their talents lie and begin to improve on them.
- Somewhere to experiment and get creative. Creativity needs to be inspired and playground equipment has a big role to pay in whether this happens in a school environment. Sails, shelters, canopies and water play, for example, can all offer a way to produce a creative spark that enables children to tap into their own creativity. It also creates a productive environment in terms of trying new things and getting used to the discomfort of being at the edge of the comfort zone – which is a vital part of the creative process.
- Enhancing classroom learning. The process of learning at school is often very classroom-based and it’s key to educational development. However, a fun play area can also teach children many new things, whether it is being used to help enhance lessons or as a separate activity space. What children learn on playground equipment will inevitably supplement and improve what they are learning in the classroom and help to provide a much more rounded experience.
- Improving mental health. Many children feel stressed today and it’s not surprising that this is the case given the pressures and challenges they face. Physical play is a great opportunity for a child to escape an anxious mind and connect to their body, to enjoy a release of endorphins from activity and to remind them that they are more than the work they do at school.
These are just some of the benefits of installing playground equipment in schools.