A Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) creates a space where students can do multiple activities, from football to netball, hockey and basketball. In a country like the UK, where the weather can be unpredictable, having access to a MUGA can mean that sports can be played all year round. Features such as fencing, goals, surfaces and sports marking provide the opportunity to tailor the area specifically to the individual needs of a school and create an ultra-valuable resource. If you’re considering a MUGA area for your school these are some of the benefits of having one.
- No need to invest in expensive maintenance – MUGA requires zero upkeep, which is a big contrast to grassed areas. From seeding to maintaining and painting sports lines, grassed areas come with a much bigger ongoing burden than MUGA. Plus, as the MUGA markings are permanent there is never a period in which children have to use an area that is in less than 100% condition.
- An option in all weathers – MUGA pitches are designed to be used all year round and are specifically engineered to cope with the challenges of British weather. The artificial surface will drain – rather than flood like grass – and there is no danger of it becoming hard and cracked when the temperature rises. Instead, you’ll have access to a level, perfectly drained, expertly marked sports area all year round.
- Improving access to physical exercise – Because the MUGA is always available, children get used to being able to go and do activities all year round. This can create routines that open the door to a healthier lifestyle throughout the years, as well as giving kids the option to find out which sports, they really enjoy. A MUGA can help children develop in so many different ways, from cardiovascular fitness to overall body strength and social skills.
- An option to share to generate income – Because a MUGA is so durable it can be shared with other groups and teams without any detriment to the use that your school wants to make of it. The high-quality nature of the surface will make it attractive to those who are looking for somewhere to play and this can actually be a source of income for your school. Rent the MUGA out during the holidays, for example, or offer it to local sports teams looking for somewhere to play at the weekends.
- Many sports, in one space – One of the major benefits of a MUGA is the way it can be used to accommodate a very wide range of different sports. That includes hockey, netball, basketball, football, tennis and volleyball. Plus, the pitch can be split into two and different activities can take place at the same time, offering the opportunity to accommodate many more sports in a single space.
Installing a MUGA for your school considerably increases the options when it comes to sports, no matter what the range of activities or the weather that you’re hoping to play in. Playtop UK are leading suppliers of sports court and playground surfacing, we can ensure your MUGA or another project is not only safe but looks great too. Please see our products range to find what suits you. Alternatively, contact us today! We’d love to hear about your project.